The solution involved three main phases: getting a clear picture of the current problem domain, building an automated end-to-end testing infrastructure, and putting in place tools that would allow the company to create their own automation workflows.
We assisted the company in implementing several industry best practices to improve the quality of code being produced and decrease the amount of time taken to perform regression tests. Greater collaboration between the company business and development teams improved the overall efficiency of the production process.
Here are some key takeaways from our solution:
- Gained a clear picture of the problem domain: Used mind maps to visualize the overall flow of a customer order. After mapping the overall application flow and development process, our QE team addressed the company’s challenges and proposed appropriate solutions.
- Created an end-to-end automated testing framework: Rather than relying upon manually executed UAT, the company is now able to conduct automated testing of front-end UI and the MES microservices back-end. Testing automation also reduced application production delays caused when a critical lab staff member was unavailable.
- Facilitated greater collaboration between development and business: Our automated solution allows greater collaboration between business and production and does not necessitate interrupting work.
- Introduced industry best practices to identify gaps in coverage: Our QE team introduced the proven all-pairs testing methodology to define a minimal test set for maximum coverage.
- Allowed the company to identify root causes of problems: Another important aspect of our solution is to offer root cause analysis (RCA). While it's important to detect severe application bugs, having the ability to determine why the bug occurred and which component was responsible is far more productive than wasting time on immediate fixes.